Thursday, March 10, 2011

With a name like Blekko...

"With a name like Smuckers, it has to be good," isn't that what the ads say? Yes, I've confirmed that, using none other than the beta-labeled search engine Blekko. And with such a stupid name, it would have to be great, right? Maybe I'll search for that phrase again in a few days and see where it leads me. But searching with "/date" for "EMPIRE, Wargame of the Century" did not bring me back here. I have to confess, seeing that "/date" made me nostalgiac for VAX/VMS (sorry, Alpha and Open -- you don't rate anywhere nostalgia-wise for me). Hey, maybe my site is one of the millions that Blekko banned, which I read about in the New York Times -- and oh yes, that is how I learned of this new search engine. OK, here's another experiment, since I'm feeling all scientifical -- what if I were to coin a word like experimiftical? It's an adjective describing someone annoyed by search results and making up words to use as test cases. Come on, Google and Bing, I know one of you can do it, but Blekko? I'm not so sure.

Update (4:58 a.m.) go ahead and try to create a word on Wiktionary, but some guy will delete your page before you can even see it in the search results! #jackwagon

Update (~6:45 a.m.) a Google search already includes my test word, but they do have a leg up, this being a Google-hosted blog after all.

Update (Friday) 24 hours later, only Google has my results!

No comments: